Avoid soggy disasters with these tips
Water damage is one of the most common and costliest disasters your home can experience, costing billions of dollars annually. Avoid soggy disasters with these tips:
Prevent basement water seepage:
- Reseal your basement.
- Make sure water drains away from the building.
- Install a backwater valve to prevent sewage from coming into your home.
- Inspect appliance hoses and faucets.
- Inspect the seal and caulking around showers and tubs.
- When away on vacation, shut off the water supply to the washing machine.
- Know the location of the main water shut-off valve in your home to react quickly if you have a water leak.
- Install an emergency pressure release valve in your plumbing system to prevent pipes from bursting.
- Check plumbing and heating pipes for cracks or leaks.
Repair and protect your home's exterior.
- Caulk and seal windows to guard against water seepage.
- Inspect your roof for missing or damaged shingles.
- Check your downspouts and remove debris.
- Check sprinklers and irrigation systems.
- Install gutter guards to prevent clogs.
- Store off-season and other bulk belongings in waterproof bins.
- Never store valuables or memorabilia where there is risk of destruction from water.
- Keep belongings stored on shelving off the floor in basements.
- Keep and up-to-date home inventory.